Dia De Muertos (Day of the Dead) is a timeless Mexican celebration that focuses on connecting with departed loved ones by joyously honoring their legacy in the form of storytelling, food, ritual, and, of course, cocktails.
In accordance with ancient beliefs, each year on November 1-2 in Mexico, the veil between the two worlds—the worlds of the living and the dead—is lifted as people come together to welcome back the souls of their ancestors in a celebration of life for Día de Muertos.
With that in mind, we put together a list of 6 cocktails that should help heighten the celebration of Dia De Muertos in 2021. Whether you enjoy Tequila, Mezcal, Wine, or Mexican Whisky, these drinks should help makes this year’s Day of the Day a special one.
Pomegranate Paloma – Crafted by Manny Hinojosa, Global Brand Ambassador, Cazadores
- 1 ½ oz Tequila Cazadores Blanco
- ½ oz St-Germain
- 2 oz Pomegranate Juice
- Top with Grapefruit
- Splash of lime juice
- Pinch of salt
Add ice to a highball glass. Pour ingredients into glass. Garnish with lime slice.
To celebrate life and this traditional holiday, Tequila Cazadores is giving back to the local Los Angeles Mexican-American community who have experienced extreme hardships due to the pandemic by teaming up with No Us Without You LA – a 501c3 public charity aimed at providing food relief to the most disenfranchised hospitality workers affected by the pandemic. Until November 3rd, Tequila Cazadores will also be encouraging consumers to share how they are celebrating Día De Muertos and loved ones this holiday on social and for every post tagging @tequilacazadores and #ReposadoInPeace,Tequila Cazadores will donate $50, up to $30K, to No Us Without You LA.
La Catrina Negra
- 1 ½ oz / 45 ml The Lost Explorer Espadín
- 1 ⅓ oz / 40 ml Lime juice
- 1 oz / 30 ml Blackberries
- ¾ oz / 25 ml Chambord or berry liqueur
- 8 Basil leaves
- Garnish: Fresh basil frond and blackberries
Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice. Give it a strong shake to muddle the blackberries. Strain into an Old Fashioned glass filled with ice. Garnish with a fresh basil frond and blackberries. Sip and reminisce.
Pan De Muertos
- 1.5 oz PATRÓN Reposado
- 0.5 oz Orgeat
- 0.75 oz lime juice
- 0.5 oz Orange liqueur
- 0.5 oz Pineapple juice
- Caramelized orange wedge
- 3 pineapple leaves
Add all ingredients to shaker. Shake and strain, serve in highball or skull mug with crushed ice.
Don Muerte – Created by Mixologist Julien Calella
- 1 1/2 oz Tequila Don Julio Blanco
- 3/4 oz Fresh Pineapple Juice
- 3/4 oz Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/4 oz Agave Nectar
- 1/2 tsp. Activated Charcoal Powder
- Garnish: Lime Wheel and Edible Marigold Flower
Combine Tequila Don Julio Blanco, fresh pineapple juice, fresh lime juice, agave nectar and activated charcoal powder into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well. Strain contents into a double rocks glass over fresh ice. Garnish with a lime wheel and an edible marigold flower.
Remember Me – Crafted by Alan Ruesga-Pelayo, National Brand Ambassador, Cazadores
- Tequila Cazadores Blanco or Reposado
- 1 jicama root (medium size; about the size of your two fists facing each other)
- 1 1/2 Valencia oranges (use 2 oranges if they’re small)
- 1/2 to 1 whole cucumber, sliced (you can cut them into half moons or quarters if you like, and you can also use regular or seedless cucumbers depending on your preference)
- 2 ounces of Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice, into a copita
- 1 tsp Sea Salt, into a copita
- Sprinkle Tajín (a dry condiment of chile flakes with lime-flavored salt) or chile powder on top as desired
Cut the jicama, cucumber, and orange into carrot stick sized pieces. Mix them all in a bowl. Fresh Lime Juice, Sea Salt, and Tajín or chile powder should be on separate copitas to be served on top as desired. Place some toothpicks snacks on the fruit and vegetables to enjoy!
**Do not pour in advance the Lime Juice into the bowl of fruit and vegetables because they will become soggy. Lime Juice should be poured as desired right before the drink is enjoyed, as well the salt and tajin.
Calavera – Created by Mixologist Julien Calella
- 1 oz Tequila Don Julio Reposado
- 3/4 oz Italian Herbal Liqueur
- 3/4 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/4 oz Honey
- Garnish: Lemon Wheel and Candy Skull
- Glassware: Double Rocks Glass
Combine Tequila Don Julio Reposado, Italian herbal liqueur, fresh lemon juice and honey into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well. Strain contents into a double rocks glass over fresh ice. Garnish with a lemon wheel and candy skull.