The Super Bowl is right around the corner, and while watch parties are going to look a bit different this year, that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy all the food you love during the big game. That’s why BABE Wine has teamed up with cookbook author Pepper Teigen (Chrissy Teigen’s mom) to prove that their bubbly wine goes with just about anything. From nachos and cheese fries to pigs in a blanket and buffalo wings, BABE is the perfect addition to any occasion.
Snacks are possibly the most important component of any Super Bowl experience. Even if the game is boring and the commercials are in a down year, good food and drink can make all the difference. This year, Mama Teigen will be serving up an original Crispy Chicken Wings recipe to pair with a BABE Red exclusively from her highly anticipated book, The Pepper Thai Cookbook: Family Recipes from Everyone’s Favorite Thai Mom. Pepper fans can preorder the cookbook, which includes the Crispy Chicken Wings recipe along with even more dishes to pair with your favorite BABE, here.
“I love introducing Thai flavors to everyone through my food – my recipes are so simple to make, delicious and fun!” says Pepper Teigen. “To me, BABE is the exact same way and pairs well with so many dishes, including my Crispy Chicken Wings.”
As the Official Wine Sponsor of the NFL, BABE challenges you to show what foods you like to pair with your favorite BABE can, Rosé, Grigio, or Red – for a chance to be one of ten lucky winners of an ultimate Big Game feast, a full supply of BABE and bragging rights. From now until January 31st, anyone (21 or older) can enter the sweepstakes by sharing a photo of their favorite BABE food pairings, tagging @drinkbabe, and using #BabeWinePairings & #sweepstakes.
In addition to Pepper’s own food pairing, BABE Wine is teaming up with a few of their fave foodies, Jeremy Jacobwitz and Cheat Day Eats, to let fans know of local NYC restaurants where you can order BABE. The bubbly wine is available for purchase in NYC at Paulie Gee’s Slice Shop, Pies and Thighs, GST Tavern, and Route 66. BABE is also available for delivery alongside your food order, too. Finally, BABE is partnering with Cheese By The Numbers to bring you three different game day boards; think brunch, happy hour and late night… each paired with a can of BABE.
“For me, the Big Game is all about the snacks. With a cold and refreshing can of BABE, wine can finally be paired with sausage balls, queso and the likes,” says BABE’s General Manager Chelsea Phillips. “With some help from Pepper Teigen, a sweepstakes leading up to the Big Game and some of our foodie friends, we hope to ignite some BABE Food Pairing inspiration for your own at-home watch parties. We can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with… I’m already hungry!”
Check out the Pepper Teigen Crispy Chicken Wing recipe below:
Crispy Chicken Wings
Serves 4 to 6:
- 3 pounds chicken wings, patted dry
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Vegetable oil, for deep-fry
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Thai sweet chili sauce or Spicy Garlic-Lime Fish
- Put the chicken wings in a large bowl. Add the fish sauce, garlic powder, white pepper, and salt and toss to coat. Set aside for 15 minutes (or refrigerate for 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, fill a wok, large heavy pot, or deep skillet with at least 2 inches of oil, making sure to leave a few inches of clearance from the rim. Heat the oil over medium heat to 370 F (use a deep-fry thermometer or test the oil by throwing in a little piece of bread or a grain of rice; if it sizzles immediately but doesn’t burn, you’re ready). Set a wire rack in a sheet pan or line a plate with paper towels and have it nearby.
- While the oil is heating, in a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch and baking powder. Sprinkle the mixture over the wings and toss until a paste forms, making sure all the wings are evenly coated.
- When the oil is hot, add 4 or 5 wings to the pan and fry until they’re a deep golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. The color of the crust will tell you when they’re cooked, so keep an eye on the wings and adjust the heat as needed as you’re frying.
- Drain the wings on the wire rack or paper towels and fry the next batch. Serve warm with sweet chili sauce or, if you like it hot, try the spicy fish sauce.
*Reprinted from The Pepper Thai Cookbook. Copyright © 2021 by Vilailuck Teigen with Garrett Snyder. Photographs copyright © 2021 by Jenny Huang. Published by Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Random House.