Corazón Tequila and Buffalo Trace have unveiled their Expresiones del Corazón 2023 Collection, featuring six tequila aged in former Weller 12, Sazerac Rye 18, George T. Stagg, William Larue Weller barrels.
Corazón Tequila has once again partnered with Buffalo Trace, this time on its Expresiones del Corazón 2023 Collection of tequilas aged in whiskey barrels. This year’s edition features six premium tequilas, including two brand new añejos aged in French Oak and ex-Weller 12 Year Old Bourbon barrels. In addition, the Artisanal Blanco and William Larue Weller, George T. Stagg and Sazerac 18 Year Old Rye Añejo Tequilas return as part of this year’s Collection.
The limited-edition Expresiones del Corazon 2023 Collection includes:
- Corazón Weller 12 Añejo Tequila: matured for 26 months in ex-Weller 12 Kentucky Straight Bourbon barrels,, this añejo is moderately sweet with heavily cooked agave, toasted vanilla and a silky-yet-intense oak finish.
- Corazón French Oak Añejo Tequila: aged for at least 13 months in French oak barrels that formerly aged Old Charter Oak French Oak bourbon, the liquid offers aromas of rich oak and vanilla and a smooth and lightly-sweet palate with hints of cooked agave, apple and caramel.
- Corazón Sazerac Rye 18 Añejo Tequila: 24 months of aging in barrels that formerly held Sazerac Rye for 18 years has produced a lightly sweet tequila with strong hints of fresh fruit met with notes of oak, caramel, almond and cinnamon.
- Corazón George T. Stagg Añejo Tequila: 22 months of maturation in barrels that previously aged the high-proof George T. Stagg bourbon delivers a tequila with salted caramel flavors that burst on the tongue followed by charred pineapple that slowly transforms to tobacco, leaving a sweet-yet-smoky lingering flavor.
- Corazón William Larue Weller Añejo Tequila: 15 months of aging in barrels that formerly held this beloved wheated bourbon has created a harmoniously smooth and dense tequila with lightly-sweet undertones. The taster is greeted with aromas of wood, caramel and almond, then met with notes of chocolate, intense vanilla, nut, eucalyptus and chamomile.
- Corazón Artisanal Small Batch Blanco Tequila: this blanco tequila is the base spirit created by the artisans at Casa San Matias specifically for the Expresiones del Corazón Collection. Utilizing the finest estate-grown agave with a higher sugar content and artisanal distillation techniques, the result is a refined liquid with a sweet, gentle flavor and powerful notes of cooked agave intertwined with hints of citrus and green apple.
“Our dedication to exploring the unique liquid that emerges from the aging process drives our experimentation with new barrels,” says Rocio Rodriguez Torres, Master Distiller at Corazón Tequila. “We are thrilled to embark on this flavor adventure utilizing the exceptional barrels from Buffalo Trace Distillery, allowing us to expand the tequila landscape. Offering aficionados an entirely new experience, these tequilas unveil a symphony of flavors reminiscent of the liquid that graced the barrels before them.”
Crafted from blue agave grown in the Los Altos region of Jalisco, the agave hearts used for Corazón Tequila are slow cooked in stone ovens and then pressed, fermented and distilled with expert care at the Casa San Matías Distillery.
Each tequila is sold separately in the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection’s glass bottle with a cork stopper and handwritten label specifying the barrel, bottle number and date of bottling.
The Expresiones del Corazón 2023 Collection is now available in limited quantities at select retailers, bars and restaurants across the United States. The suggested retail price for the Artisanal Blanco is $59.99; the William Larue Weller, Weller 12, French Oak, George T. Stagg and Sazerac Rye 18 year Old Añejos are $79.99 each (750ml; taxes and fees vary by market.) All six tequilas are 80 proof. For more information about Corazón, head over to the brand’s official website.