Yoshino Spirits has launched Kamiki Sakura, “the world’s first Whisky brand finished in Japanese sakura and cedar casks.” Launched by the Osaka-based brand back in 2019, the Japanese Whisky is now available on the global market.
Kamiki Sakura Wood was first matured in cedar wood casks before being finished in sakura casks. Bottled at 48% ABV, Sakura is best known as the tree responsabile for Japanese cherry blossoms. The Whisky is made in Nara, the first capital of Japan. Inspired by beautiful breezes coming from the Mountain of the God, the Whisky is named for the combination of “kami” meaning “God” and “iki” meaning “breath”.
On the nose it offers ripe banana, candied chestnuts, cinnamon and hints of pine. As you continue to sniff, , there’s a distinct warming woodiness that reminds one of a forest. These combine with a central palate woodiness, sandalwood, and gentle spice, before sweet cherries cut through the more savory notes, leading to a floral, spring-like finish.
Since its first bottling, Yoshino’s Kamiki Sakura has picked up a variety of medals in completions across the globe:
- “94.00 Points” From 2021 Jim Murrray Whisky Bible
- “Double Gold” Medal From 2020 Cigar & Spirits Magazine Competition
- “91 Points” From 2020 Ultimate Spirit Challange.
- “Double Gold” Medal From 2019 Cigar & Spirits Magazine Competition
- “Gold” Medal From 2019 China Wine And Spirits Awards.
- “Platinum” Award From 2019 Sip Awards
- “Double Gold” Award From 2019 Women’s Wine & Spirit Awards.
- “Consumer’s Choice” Award From 2019 Sip Awards
- “Innovation” Award From 2019 Sip Awards
- “Double Gold” From 2019 Las Vegas Spirit Awards
- “Gold” From 2019 San Diego Spirit Awards
Last year, Yoshino Spirits unveiled Umiki, the world’s first ocean fused Whisky. This Japanese blended Whisky is inspired by the country’s relationship with nature and the ocean. The brand’s name serves as a hint to the production process as ‘umi’ means ‘ocean’ and ‘ki’ means ‘tree’ in Japanese.